Job title: Medicolegal Death Investigator
Location: San Diego, CA
The NAA Group (National Autopsy Assay Group LLC and the NAAG Pathology Labs PC) is an independent, nonpartisan, multinational, group, private forensic pathology practice. We provide “first” and “second” forensic pathology opinions for medical examiners and coroners, attorneys (prosecution, defense, civil, family, administrative), law enforcement officers, governmental administrative bodies, and next-of-kin. We handle medicolegal case consultations from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe, Hong Kong, Australasia, and other locations as requested.
The medicolegal death investigator must possess the skills, aptitude and desire to provide assistance to our management staff and physicians who offer evidence-based medical and scientific opinions to our clients. Above and beyond everything else, successful candidates will have three fundamental skills: (1) impeccable organizational skills, (2) excellent interpersonal skills and (3) attention to detail.
The successful candidate will have active knowledge and experience in death investigation, and must be capable of interacting with law enforcement, attorneys and family members in a professional, kind and compassionate way, and with knowledge of the subject matter.
- Report to the Director of Death Investigation
- Input case information in database management system
- Administrative duties, e.g., answers phones, maintains records, distribute documents to parties, receive documents from parties, update case management system, etc.
- Ensures and maintains strict confidentiality requirements for all case-related data, as well as other corporate information
- Provide assistance and support with basic administrative duties
- Other responsibilities as required
- Experience in the “death industry” and/or pathology laboratory setting
- Willingness to be exposed to deceased persons, caustic chemicals and fumes, decomposed human tissue and noxious odors
- Willingness to work in an environment with X-ray equipment
- Computer literacy including “ready to use” skills with both Apple and PC computers, Windows, Microsoft Office software including Outlook 365, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to successfully complete a Background Investigation (including criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening)
- Must be able to legally work in the USA
- Must be able and willing to travel (including internationally) and have a current passport by the time of hiring
- Must be able and willing to work with medical content that many people would consider highly disturbing including extreme violence to living and deceased individuals, including young children
We are far more interested in hiring the “right person” than hiring for the right credentials. We need a team player who is easy to get along with, and who will be driven and productive without continuous supervision. This is an excellent position for someone returning to the workforce, especially those who want a rewarding job opportunity on a part-time basis.
Job Type: Part-Time
Salary: $15.00 to $35.00 /hour
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Masks and hand-sanitizer available throughout our offices and lab. Physical distancing is enabled by large office spaces and absence of shared offices.
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- San Diego, CA 92121 (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Death investigation: 1 year (Required)
- English (required)
- Spanish (preferred)
Licence / Certification:
- Driver’s License (Required)
- American Board of Medicolegal Death Investigators (Preferred)
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible